• Română
  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
+4 0269 862 041

Nemsa

Oct 30, 2015 by Diana Medesan Comments: 0

Geographic Location The place Nemşa (in Saxon dialect Nimesch, Nimeš, In German Niemesch, Nimesch, Nimisch, Nimschdorf, in Hungarian Nemes, Szásznemes) has been documentarily attested in 1359. The Saxons were the first inhabitants here, by a share of 90%. There were only a few houses of Romanians at the periphery of the village, on a side alley. Most of the land plots were the property of Saxons. They were hard working men; they were farmers (raised cattle, buffalos and sheep) and bee keepers. Since they had lucrative and fruitful land they needed help to work the land so they brought a few Roma families in Nemşa as helpers. In time the Saxons left the village, the Romas bred and replaced the Saxons. The Saxons were very neat and hard working, hence the saying clean like it is a Saxon dish shelf (the dish shelf is a part of the kitchen furniture holding the glasses, cups, plates and that was shining clean in a Saxon kitchen). The fortified Evangelical church of Nemşa, the initial one, has been built in the beginning of 1400. The tower bell dates back to 1869, and in the same year the defense wall has been demolished and […] Read More

Alma Vii

Oct 30, 2015 by Diana Medesan Comments: 0

 Alma Vii, formerly known as Alma între Vii, Alma săsească (German Almen, Hungarian Szászalmád, Almád, Szászalmás, Német-Almás, Almás) is a place in Sibiu County, Romania. The first documented mention of Alma Vii goes back to 1289 in the document Herritus de Alma sacerdotes, according to which the place was dependent on the Capitulum of Mediaș, whereas a different document dated 1356 mentioned the place as an independent commune of the Seat of Mediaș. This changed in 1872 when the commune was included in the county Târnava Mare. Between 1951 and 1968 Alma Vii was part of Brașov Region. In 1968 it became part of Sibiu County. The hill the church is built on is easy to defend on the Southern and Western sides due to the steep slopes. The wall has a 1.5 m thick base, is made of rubble masonry and river stones, and it gets thinner to the top where it is made of brick. Alma Vii is placed on the superior part of Calva (Kaltbach) river, at the edge of the vineyard area of Mediaş, on the road that connects Mediaş and Agnita. There may have been extremely lucrative vineyards in the area, but due to the […] Read More

Discover Mosna

Oct 30, 2015 by Diana Medesan Comments: 0

Geographic location The place has been documentarily attested in 1280, when it was mentioned as an independent commune in Ţara Vinului (Wine land), under the name of Musyna. Other names of the place: villa Musna, Muzsna, Meschen. The old village toft still keeps the characteristics of the German colonists from an architectural and village planning point of view. Moşna, a borough belonging to the German Seat of Mediaș, inhabited by Saxons and Wallachs, with an Evangelical congregation and church belonging to the Capitulum of Mediaș, a Unite (Greek-Catholic) congregation and church and a Greek-Orthodox congregation and church, the latter with subsidiaries in Nemșa and Alma Vii, affiliated to the Catholic congregation of Mediaș, is placed in the hydrographic basin of Mureș river and of its affluent Târnava Mare. The territory is divided in three circumscriptions of which one remains unused every year. In time Moșna developed to be one of the wealthiest communes in the area, Valea Târnavelor, especially after two neighboring villages, Furkeschdorf și Weissdorf, have been abandoned in the 14th – 15th century, and Moşna shared the territory with Mediaș, Alma and Metiș. Since Moșna is placed in a steep hill area, with a mild climate proper for […] Read More