The place has been documentarily attested in 1280, when it was mentioned as an independent commune in Ţara Vinului (Wine land), under the name of Musyna. Other names of the place: villa Musna, Muzsna, Meschen.
The old village toft still keeps the characteristics of the German colonists from an architectural and village planning point of view.
Moşna, a borough belonging to the German Seat of Mediaș, inhabited by Saxons and Wallachs, with an Evangelical congregation and church belonging to the Capitulum of Mediaș, a Unite (Greek-Catholic) congregation and church and a Greek-Orthodox congregation and church, the latter with subsidiaries in Nemșa and Alma Vii, affiliated to the Catholic congregation of Mediaș, is placed in the hydrographic basin of Mureș river and of its affluent Târnava Mare. The territory is divided in three circumscriptions of which one remains unused every year.
In time Moșna developed to be one of the wealthiest communes in the area, Valea Târnavelor, especially after two neighboring villages, Furkeschdorf și Weissdorf, have been abandoned in the 14th – 15th century, and Moşna shared the territory with Mediaș, Alma and Metiș. Since Moșna is placed in a steep hill area, with a mild climate proper for wine yards, this agricultural occupation became over the centuries an important income source for the toftmen of Moşna. All houses were built with underground cellars, usually the size of the house itself. In the 1930 the first metallic grape crushers appeared and gradually replaced the wooden grape crushers that are today highly sought as museum items.
The fortified evangelical church (1485) is the creation of Andreas Lapicida of Sibiu, a famous sculptor in the area, and belongs to late Gothic. Later works have been executed in the years 1575, 1791 (added stalls), as well as in 1658, 1698, 1701, 1718, 1763, and 1824. The inside of the church has been reconditioned in the 20th century.
One of the most interesting towers is the Lard Tower (Turnul Slăninilor).
The site in Moşna is placed in the center of the village, probably in a former marsh area, and is formed of a few components: the church, the tower bell on the Western side, the old village hall – the building between the church and the Western tower that is used as a lard deposit, and the defense system made of surrounding walls provided with a sentinel passage, three more towers, zwinger, the remains of a Roman chapel and various extensions. The church (1485) is the masterpiece of Andreas Lapicida of Sibiu, a famous sculptor in the area, and belongs to late Gothic. Later works have been made in 1575, 1791 (added stands), and in 1658, 1698, 1701, 1718, 1763, and 1824. In the 20th century the inside of the church was reconditioned. The current church has been erected in the place of a Roman basilica from the 14th century, prior to its official documentary attestation of 1485, a basilica from which the Western gate and the lower part of the marginal walls were kept and built-in the church. The imposing loft is a three arm polygonal apsis covered by a cylindrical arch. The baked clay grooves of the loft arch and of the apsis end in two key stones with the representation of a unicorn and Mary and baby Jesus, the last one dated in 1525. The rood loft, as well as the door stone frame, dated in 1501 and made by the same mason, is one of the perfect examples of late Gothic sculptures in Transylvania. The tabernacle, over 11 m high, is placed near the sacristy door. The monogram of the mason may be decoded on the tripartite stone stall dated in 1500 that ends on the Southern wall of the loft, with three accolade arches. The church went through reconditioning, repair works, and construction works in the years 1575, 1630, 1658, 1698, 1701, 1718, 1763, 1791, 1824, 1919, 1998, and 2000.