The place Nemşa (in Saxon dialect Nimesch, Nimeš, In German Niemesch, Nimesch, Nimisch, Nimschdorf, in Hungarian Nemes, Szásznemes) has been documentarily attested in 1359. The Saxons were the first inhabitants here, by a share of 90%. There were only a few houses of Romanians at the periphery of the village, on a side alley. Most of the land plots were the property of Saxons. They were hard working men; they were farmers (raised cattle, buffalos and sheep) and bee keepers. Since they had lucrative and fruitful land they needed help to work the land so they brought a few Roma families in Nemşa as helpers. In time the Saxons left the village, the Romas bred and replaced the Saxons.
The Saxons were very neat and hard working, hence the saying clean like it is a Saxon dish shelf (the dish shelf is a part of the kitchen furniture holding the glasses, cups, plates and that was shining clean in a Saxon kitchen).
The fortified Evangelical church of Nemşa, the initial one, has been built in the beginning of 1400. The tower bell dates back to 1869, and in the same year the defense wall has been demolished and a simpler and shorter wall was built instead. Up until 1739 the church was a hall type church. The triptych altar, built in the 16th century is now in St. Margret Church in Mediaş. The bell tower hosts a casted bell from the 15th century. The organ pipe was made in 1883 by Wilhelm Hörbiger from Sibiu.
Many personalities have passed through and lived in Nemşa in time, but Şt. L. Roth stands above all of them; a great Saxon scholar that believed to his grave in the harmonious agreement of all nationalities in Transylvania, in the permanent enlightenment of the Saxons and in the permanent schooling of the Romanians. As a result, a church house was built in 1790 in Nemşa, where Şt. L. Roth wrote most of his works.
The name of the place is of Hungarian origin (nemeş) and means noble. The Saxons settled early in this place with the approval of the neighboring places Richiş and Moşna. The fortified church (from early 1400) was initially a hall type church, but due to the fact that the aisle could fall at any time it was demolished and rebuilt. The bell tower was built in 1869, but the defense wall has been demolished and a simpler and shorter wall was built instead. The triptych altar was made in the 16th century, and the tower bell hosts a bell dated back to the 15th century. The organ pipe was made in 1883 by Wilhelm Hörbiger of Sibiu. Nemşa evangelical church is listed under no. 2751 on the list of historical monuments. In 1733 the aisle of the church fell down and was rebuilt. In 1798 the aisle received its current arches. Vitruvian scroll columns were used for support. The latest restoration works were executed in 1954. Around 1500 the church was enclosed by a simple wall with two towers of which the solid one still lasts to today. The wall of the citadel was repaired in 1752. The tower bell was built in 1869, at a distance of just a few meters from the church. The renaissance type altar is a chest with no aisles; it was finished in 1520. The predella was lost. The top part is surrounded by an oil painting made by an unknown painter and showing the baptism of Christ. The three wooden figures of the altar - Jesus, Moses and Paul - are gone, and around 1850 they were replaced by ordinary figures painted on wood. Across the church there is a pedestal with the statue of Stephan Ludwig Roth (1796 – 1849), a priest of Nemşa and Moşna, a humanist thinker, teacher and revolution fighter in the Revolution of 1848 that took place in Transylvania.